Tax Information

Why do I need to pay MUD taxes?
You reside in unincorporated Harris County, outside of the City of Houston limits. The water bill covers your monthly water usage, sewer, garbage services and security. A Municipal Utility District (MUD) tax, such as assessed by Harris County WCID 89, is a property tax, just like your county and school taxes, and the same tax laws apply. If your home is located in a MUD district, you must pay a property tax based on the value of your home. These taxes pay for the underground infrastructure, District operations, construction projects, maintenance, security, and bond sales.

The Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) determines the value of your home. All local taxing authorities in Harris County use the same home value when calculating your taxes. WCID 89’s current tax rate is $.79 per $100 of home value. All property taxes are due upon receipt and delinquent after January 31st.

Is there any way to lower my MUD tax bill?
Harris County WCID 89 currently allows a 20% homestead exemption. It also provides a $10,000 exemption for people who are 65 years old or older or for people who are disabled. To apply for these exemptions or to see if you qualify, contact the Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD)

Where do I send my MUD tax payment?
Checks should be made payable to Harris County WCID 89 and mailed to Wheeler and Associates 6935 Barney Road, Suite 110, Houston, TX 77092 or paid by credit card at  For detailed instructions, call 713-462-8906.

What happens if I don’t pay my taxes on time?
If your MUD taxes are not paid by January 31st of each year, penalties and interest begin accruing. If taxes remain unpaid, water service is terminated to your home. In extreme cases where taxes are more than a year delinquent, a lawsuit will be filed and your home can be sold for taxes. Please contact the District’s Attorney, whose contact information is on the About Us page, prior to allowing delinquencies to accrue.